Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A new day is upon us

A break is good from this thing. But, I like keeping it only a few days, not months like before...

Here in Texas the weather has changed and it is GREAT! I had the windows open in the apartment all day.

With all of this great weather we are having it is making me think about the upcoming holidays. Stores are beginning to decorate early this year. Maybe it is like this every year and I just never noticed, but I get this warm feeling in my stomach whenever I think about the approaching holidays.

I love decorating for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I just hate how fast it all happens. Between, shopping, decorating, parties, finals, traveling and baking/cooking it is over before I really had a chance to realize it was here. I miss the days of being young and the adults doing all of the "work." Jamie would just tell me, "To have a minimal Christmas and not worry about all of that shit and enjoy the moment." That seems difficult. But, maybe necessary. A minimal Christmas is in effect for us, trying to cut back on all of the, "frivolous spending" that we have done in the past years. We will set a more realistic spending amount for all family and friends. We are not even sure if we will be going to Corpus to visit the kids. It all just depends on the job situation and if we are moving or not. Blah! That right there is enough to make me feel down in the dumps about the holidays.

Although, we are in the Halloween spirit over here! We are looking forward to Hannah's school Fall Festival this Friday and then a trip to Austin, just the two of us on Saturday. Sunday brings a day of visiting Trader's Village for Halloween costume shenanigans and then to Flower Mound for a pumpkin patch. Trying to get my lovely friend Jenny to have a sort of lunch date with us while we are out in that area. It might work out, it might not.

Jamie received his passport in the mail today... The trip to Belgium is officially a reality to me. November 11th is the day. I haven't slept alone without Jamie in years! Yikes. I have a few friends that said that they would keep me company. Again, we'll see if that works out or not.

Okay, enough for today... I'm about to go to bed.

Trying to find a vegan restaurant in Austin, something different. Found one!

2 comments:

Megs said...

What's this trip to Belgium?

Megs said...

One more thing, did you see the cover of Crate&Barrel's Best Buys catalogue? Since you like to bake for the holidays, I thought you'd like the cupcakes (muffins?) on the cover. I couldn't find an image to insert, but here's the link to the product:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=54&f=29772

Look at the pictures below the pan of the finished product.